Tuesday, November 2, 2010

Pumpkin Cuppy cakes!

If you know me, you know that I love all things pumpkin! I could eat pumpkin anything all year round and it wouldn't bother me! Thanksgiving has always been my favorite holiday because I can eat pumpkin pie! Which is by far my favorite pie of all time!

In recent years I have seen a lot of different pumpkin things popping up and it pleases me to no end! From pumkin scones, cookies, cake, doughnuts, custards, ice cream, milkshakes! It is endless!

One day I wanted something with pumpkin so I decided to take a pumpkin cake recipe and make some cupcakes! Then I frosted it with the browned butter icing from the dulce de leche apple bar recipe. The result was very tasty!!

The Cast:
cupcake pans
cupcake liners
mixing bowl with paddle attachment or hand mixer
sifter
small saucepan
whisk

The Ingredients:
For the cupcakes 
2 1/4 cup all purpose flour
2 1/2 teaspoons baking powder
2 teaspoons ground cinnamon

1/4 teaspoon salt
1 cup packed brown sugar
1/4 cup butter, softened
1 teaspoon vanilla
2 large eggs
15 oz. of canned pumpkin puree or about 2 scant cups of your own pumpkin puree

For the icing
4 Tablespoons butter
3 cups sifted powdered sugar
1/2 teaspoon vanilla extract
4 Tablespoons heavy cream

Procedure:

Preheat your oven to 350 degrees and line your cupcake pans with the cupcake liners.

Cream your butter with your sugar and vanilla extract until well combined, then add your eggs 1 at a time beating well after each addition. Add the pumpkin and mix well before adding the flour, baking powder, cinnamon and salt. Combine the dry ingredients with the wet ingredients until just after the last traces of flour dissapate.

Once the batter is all mixed, portion them out into the cupcake liners in the cupcake pan. I yielded about 12 cupcakes.

Bake at 350 for about 20 minutes, if they get golden on top they have baked for too long! Use a toothpick or skewer to test the middle of them. There is a low fat content in these, so they will dry out if they bake to long.

While the cupcakes are baking take the opportunity to make the icing. To do this you are going to need a small sauce pan. Before you start heating the butter get your powdered sugar sifted into a bowl. You are going to heat the butter over medium until it begins to brown. Once it browns remove it and pour it directly onto the powdered sugar and then add the vanilla extract and heavy cream. Whisk this all together until it is combined.

Once the cupcakes are finished baking, let them cool down before icing them. I wouldn't recommend piping the icing, it probably won't hold up. Instead just spread it on the cupcakes smoothly and evenly!


Add whatever, garnish! I added some orange sugar on top since I couldn't pipe the icing. It is a pretty dense cake as you can see, but really springy and tasty!! I hope you give it a try and enjoy it! 

No comments:

Post a Comment